1. My motto for creating 21st Century Learners: "Learning Together"
The resources below (as well as the video at the end) aided in my development of this motto. I wanted to capture it is a group journey, no longer teacher led, and also to incorporate the world outside the classroom walls. If we are in this together it is going to require communication and social networking and exchanging of ideas. "Technology is only technology to those who were born before it." (Nielsen)
2. How do I adapt to change in my environment?
*Take a moment to decipher if it is something I need or could use, will it benefit my students and how? Then fill in the blanks: (technology tool) for the purpose of ____________ ? "to keep focus on the learning purpose not the tools". (McLeod, 2013)
*Jump in and play around with it, explore.
*Search for people with experience with the tool either students or colleagues within my building or members of my PLN via twitter asking for assistance and feedback.
*Essentially be the 21st century learner we are trying to develop: approach the change by working in a team, asking good questions, and having big picture views. (Riordan)
3. How do I support my students in adapting to change?
Currently:
*Offer various sources for external learning and have students share what they have found
In the future:
*Use real life applications and hooks to increase passion and enthusiasm as listed in Teach Like a PIRATE
*Will introduce more Project Based Learning using Andrew Blair's site as a starting point
*Encourage more video conferencing for peer collaboration. Provide tool for students to conference each other without teacher facilitation.
*Incorporate room for creativity within correspondence, PBL, and hooks. Change assignments to allow for more freedom and creativity. Videos, Vines, Comics, Prezis, Glogsters etc.
Burgess, D. (2012). Teach Like a PIRATE.
Hamilton, P. (November 30, 2012). The 21st Century Student. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrPS_UIn9Lg
McLeod, S. (October 24, 2013). For the Purpose Of. Retrieved from http://www.dangerouslyirrelevant.org
Nielsen, L. (April 15, 2008). The Innovative Educator: Ten 21st Century Education Quotes I Carry With Me. Retrieved from http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.com/2008/04/ten-21st-century-education-quotes-i.html
Hamilton, P. (November 30, 2012). The 21st Century Student. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrPS_UIn9Lg
McLeod, S. (October 24, 2013). For the Purpose Of. Retrieved from http://www.dangerouslyirrelevant.org
Nielsen, L. (April 15, 2008). The Innovative Educator: Ten 21st Century Education Quotes I Carry With Me. Retrieved from http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.com/2008/04/ten-21st-century-education-quotes-i.html
Riordan, B. High Tech High, San Diego California: The Culture of 21st Century Schools. Retrieved from http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZjZd


1. Find the Good, Most Successful – Identify and Celebrate
ReplyDelete*Essentially be the 21st century learner we are trying to develop: approach the change by working in a team, asking good questions, and having big picture views. (Riordan)
I really like that idea. If we want to teach our students how to be 21st century learners, we also have to be this type of learner as well, so we can teach them what we know and give them tools, resources, and experiences to use.
2. Identify Questions – Factual or Interpretive
-Do you think that reading and writing in school will hold as much value as it does now in the future? I believe it will take a combination of both reading and writing, and the ability to learn, unlearn, and relearn to be successful in world.
-What real life applications do you plan on using in the classroom?
-What will video conferencing look like in your classroom? What results are you expecting from using it?
-How do you use blogs in the classroom?
3. Make Suggestions – Contribute to Someone’s Learning
In your project, you talked about using real life applications to help students prepare for the 21st century world. I know that some members of our class have done a life skills lesson in which they allow students to build resumes, attend mock interviews, and even determine the directions to their own interviews. They have also had students look for apartments, budget money, and pay for bills that come their way. I don’t know if that is the real life application you are looking for, but it may be an idea to try.
Thank you for you questions! I will definitely add that detail to my philosophy. And for your idea of real life applications, I was leaning towards hooks listed in TLAP but your ideas are just as applicable. Thanks!
DeleteI love your motto! It succinctly gives your audience the picture of a person willing to try and not being held back by the unknown or untried. Nicely done. More concrete examples to your goal statements will make your statements come alive in your writing and come to reality in your classroom. What are two or three specifics that you will try in your classroom?
ReplyDeleteYes! Thank you Barbra. I will definitely add some specifics.
DeleteAndrea - great motto - very succinct (and poetic!) I also like that Alvin Toffler quote - I've used it often. I think of a philosophy as a big picture kind of thing. In other words, I believe this, and it's an approach I intend to bring to my practice. I almost think you are limiting the scope of this by listing "next semester". I'd suggest thinking a little bigger - the future! That way you can incorporate longer-term goals that show the potential impact of your motto.
ReplyDeleteThanks Tracie. Yes, too specific in some areas and not specific enough in others. I appreciate your feedback.
DeleteAndrea,
ReplyDeleteI loved your presentation! It was much more interesting than my "wordy" choice. I am very comfortable with words, but you have inspired me to change!
I also loved your Alvin Toffler quote, how true! The holistic social construction approach to learning is right up my alley. I truly believe that we are all in this together, the entire society and we need to partner not just with parents in education but the community as a whole. My only question was are we able to post to a blog the video by Paul Hamilton? Do we need some sort of permission or if it is on YouTube and we put a link on our site, is it public domain?
Debbie
It was on youtube so my understanding is it is open for sharing. As long as credit is given :)
DeleteThe GOOD: Andrea, I love your motto. I also loved all the quotes you incorporated. No need to re-invent the wheel.
ReplyDeleteQuestions: How do you search for people with experience? What do you do if you cannot find someone? What kind of hooks do you want to use?
I was going to ask how you determine which pieces of technology will benefit, but then I read your fill in the blank sentence. That is wonderful to keep the focus on learning.
Suggestions: I’d suggest as Dave Burgess did that you have a notebook somewhere so that you can write down the ideas that come to you for hooks, and other things. Otherwise, they will come and you will not be prepared to keep them.
Hi Heather,
ReplyDeleteGreat suggestions, I really do need to better track of ideas and hooks. I have a folder of potential ideas in my book bag, and way too many bookmarks on my browser to look through 'some day'. It would be great to have them all compiled somewhere. For hooks I would start with Dave Burgess' lists in TLAP, for experienced people use my colleagues, friends or PLN. If I can't find anyone would just fiddle around with it myself. Thanks again for your input!