Sunday, November 24, 2013

670 Reflection Week 6

Thomas shared a great TED Talk about electronic tattoos. Definitely something to keep in mind as we share our thoughts and lives with the world. He agreed that "technology affords us many opportunities for creativity and self-actualization" as do I. But it was at this point that I found I was coming at the essential question from two sides: the students (digital natives) and the creators of the tech plan (digital
immigrants). And it got me thinking, are we trying to plan for and measure creativity, art, and collaboration that is already happening naturally for our students? Are we essentially then creating a document to catch up and fit with where our students are? It made me realize how important input from students is for tech planning. Tiffany also expressed that significant forms of creativity and ingenuity currently exist, siting YouTube as an example of art, collaboration, and science. I'm beginning to see the tech plan as a document to help the digital immigrants catch up to the natives.
Colin mentioned on my blog that he believed "within every organization a unique culture will evolve that sets what the current 'appropriate boundaries' are." I found that statement to be very true and had experienced just that myself this past week in communications with a group. There was just a sense of needing a more personal touch on the particular matter so I placed individual phone calls instead of sending a bulk email. The personal calls were very well received and I was glad I trusted my gut. So I wonder, can just trust people's intuition to know which form of digital communication is appropriate? And if this is the case, we wouldn't need to address emotional intelligence in a tech plan. Of course, individual personalities will lend themselves more easily to certain communications than others… oh man, just brought myself back full circle! No solid answers this week but lots of thoughts :)


No comments:

Post a Comment