Saturday, November 23, 2013

670 Importance of Art, Collaboration and EI to Tech Planning

How is art, collaboration, and emotional intelligence important to technology planning in terms of process, and outcomes?

The essential question had me thinking of tech planning from two sides. The process, which includes the teachers and other staff creating the document. And the outcome, or the students who will be experiencing education as laid out by the tech plan. 

For those creating and participating in the technology planning, I believe we are in this current state: "E-communications such as text messaging, instant messaging and even email have contributed to a decline in the quality of communication in the workplace." And so, "we must work to maintain and develop our EQ. Leaders who make a point to pick up the phone or walk into a colleague’s office will set an example for staff to limit digital messaging to simple, non-emotional issues. A simple awareness that our emotional intelligence is affected by our reliance on digital communication is a first step in improving the 21st century workplace. " (Larson) So from this perspective I believe EQ  and collaboration are especially important in the process of technology planning. We are on the slippery slope, adapting to the fast changing technology thrust upon us, we must be sure to incorporate some feeling and face to face dialogue in the creation process as well as in the execution of the tech plan. Chernek found these tips to build a collaborative team based on EI:
"1. Vision creates the project's framework; passion holds it together. 
2. Collaborators use humor and stamina to carry them through.
3. Collaborators know what they don't know and what they need.
4. Collaborators chip in when the reality of tasks become burdensome.
5. Collaborators rely on living discussions to keep projects flowing."

And in terms of outcomes (our students) we need creativity, art, and collaboration to avoid creating students like "The old computer nerd stereotype: the code monkey with his eyes glued to the screen, tapping away at his keyboard, and awkwardly avoiding interaction with anyone else in the office."  (Saumell) However, students today seem to be all about creativity, art, and collaboration when using technology for their own personal use (see youtube). Emotional intelligence is the one area that appears to be lacking so it must be considered as part of the outcome of a technology plan. 

We must remember "Being creative is not only about thinking: it is about feeling." (Robinson)


Chernek, V. (January 8, 2008). NCTI. The Art of Collaboration Using Emotional Intelligence. Retrieved from http://www.nationaltechcenter.org/index.php/2008/01/08/emotional-intelligence/

Larson, F. (Aug 14). TTI Success Insights. Technology's Effect on Emotional Intelligence. Retrieved from http://www.ttisuccessinsights.com/blog/posts/technology-s-effect-on-emotional-intelligence

Robinson, K. (2011) Out of Our Minds. 

Saumell, C.  (May 14, 2013). AshleyEllis. Is Emotional Intelligence Important in Information Technology?

7 comments:

  1. But how do we encourage the desired emotional intelligence emphasis within the technology plan? Or can we view it is a byproduct of other successful, easier to design for measures, such as collaboration with others locally, within the state, and from around the world? Others?

    Larson mentions that she believes that "e-communications such as text messaging, instant messaging and even email" lead to a decline in quality of communications in the workplace. But how is Larson coming to that conclusion? The old question emerges, how does one measure quality? In any given study there would many factors at work in the workplace that would influence the perception of effective communication, including resistance to change, unfamiliarity with new tools, heavy workload, education level.

    On a personal level I think that means of communication has gotten quite a bit more effective, timely, and has allowed me to be connected in more remote places than ever before. I have found that within every organization a unique culture will evolve that sets what the current "appropriate" boundaries are on different forms of digital communication used for work, such as sending texts after hours, when to call versus email versus text, how to effectively use instant messaging, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I don't know how EI could be encouraged in the technology plan. I was thinking more as something we need to keep in consideration when planning for technology. That there is another side we need to nurture and technology is not the complete answer. I really struggled with this week's question. You are right, personally, technological communication is effective and efficient. Yesterday I chose to place phone calls to a group of people instead of an email. The extra effort to make a personal connection was definitely appreciated. Like you said "within every organization a unique culture will evolve that sets what the current "appropriate boundaries are". There was just a sense of needing a more personal touch with that communication. Could we just trust people's intuition to know which form of digital communication is appropriate? If so then I guess it wouldn't need to be addressed in a Technology Plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Employees at Yahoo were recently called back from working at home because they were missing spontaneous creativity that comes from organic interaction. However, my understanding of an event begins to erode almost immediately after the initial observation. Technology allows me to convene true meaning of the observation to the appropriate audience without allowing my own bias and environmental variables to corrode the facts. My take is this: Ghandi would not have wanted to use email to express himself. (Nor would Hitler, Joan of Ark, Kennedy, Muhamad Ali, or Charles Manson). These famous & infamous characters relied on passion and voice to carry their message. The Arab spring would not have occurred without instant messaging.

      Delete
    2. Correction: Ghandi probably would have used instant messaging.

      Delete
  3. "Collaborators use humor and stamina to carry them through."

    Humor is really helping me keep it together right now. I also think it play a vital role in training. If I'm watching a screencast about anything and humor is applied than I looking forward to returning to at same channel. I think it can make a very big difference with teacher training enrollment.

    " And in terms of outcomes (our students) we need creativity, art, and collaboration to avoid creating students like "The old computer nerd stereotype: "

    I can't seem to get myself to type out an essay anymore unless I'm commenting on a blog. It's probably because I've typed enough of them but most of all, I'm a visual learner. That being said, I'm horrible at painting and drawing but I can make a mean bubble map. A student can write a whole story using visual aids without one single period. Of course it's important to know grammar but for too long, grammar has trumped imagination, sequence and cause and effect. Bring on the interactive comic strips, thinking maps, podcast, iMovie trailers, and what ever else can respond with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea,
    When you mentioned people making a point of talking directly to people as an example of limiting communication to non-emotional things it made me think of trying to explain to my 4th grade students that emotion and tone of voice are not portrayed very well in writing, and that it is important to make sure what you say online couldn't be taken the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit, that as a netgenner, I hate talking on the phone. It scares me! I feel awkward, and then I am responsible for EVERYTHING that I hear, and my hearing isn't always that great, especially when I'm on a staticy line. That's why I love emailing and texting. Then I can go back and read said information with very little error. However, there is something lacking with solely digital communication. You can't hear the feeling in a person's voice. You can interpret these things in digital communication, but you have to know that person first. I think it is important to marry the two ideas.

    ReplyDelete