Unfortunately the culture of my current teaching environment doesn't differ all that much from the learning environment I experienced as a student. At least as far as content goes. True, my math class was never orchestrated online (the internet wasn't even around), my homework and tests were handed in and graded by my teacher, not electronically submitted and immediately graded online. And I actually had to sit in the class and take notes rather than listen and watch my teacher's scribe of the lecture in a SMART notebook, which I can replay as much as needed. I never had access to online practice with immediate feedback, nor participate in online discussions with my classmates or perform google searches when I got stuck. So the delivery methods are different and adapted to this technological environment but the lectures and format bear an embarrassingly striking resemblance to the ones I sat through. My students watch lectures, practice related problems, discuss their findings and express their struggles, receive feedback to overcome obstacles, and then do a homework assignment. Very much like I did. This is where Teach Like a PIRATE and other previous EDET courses have come in to play. I have been compiling notes for semesters on how to revamp my class. Not the delivery but the content, as I feel the new content will demand it's own appropriate delivery. Currently my course focusses on facts and skills. I have big plans to reorganize the course into three units: First, understanding the relationship between numbers and their different notations; Second, understanding the operations that can be done with real numbers; And thirdly, to enter the world of Algebra and understand it's purpose. These revamping ideas started when I read Understanding by Design
(Wiggins and McTighe, 2001) causing me to focus on what I want my students to learn
rather than the lesson plan for teaching it. I started envisioning hands-on experiments,
manipulatives, and other activities for students to use to work their way to understanding key concepts. And I'm sure I am a google search away from finding great ways to implement those ideas. TLAP (Burgess, 2012) then added an extra layer to this revision. The holistic learning is great but let's make it fun and motivational! Hooks, real life applications, and interesting presentation will bring the content to life and help break the 'math is boring' stereotype. So I'm almost there, next obstacle, how to orchestrate this in an online course? I feel online collaboration can sometimes be awkward, keeping motivation up could potentially be difficult, and getting participation from students to make the lessons worthwhile may be a struggle. Motivation will take work but Burgess offers plenty of ideas to get started and stay on that path. Hopefully, participation will willingly follow with proper motivation. As for collaboration, Thomas and Brown (2011) point out an online community of similarly minded people can teach each other "something really cool you could never know about yourself". So perhaps I need to look outside my group of registered students for collaboration, why restrict ourselves to such a small community of learners when we have access to a world full of similarly minded people? Aha! Sounds like I'm on my way.
I found some multiplayer games that may be used to cultivate peer to peer teaching. One potential road block is the games are for elementary aged kids and I am teaching college students. I know Thomas and Brown suggest multiplayer games can bridge generations but wonder if in this circumstance pride may get in the way of learning for my students. Still worth a shot.
The last thing I can see that still stands in my way is that most of my students are from the pre or post PC culture. Technology is not familiar to them and can be extremely overwhelming, an interesting predicament for students taking an online class. I suppose this is something that will improve with time as more and more students become exposed to and gain experience in online courses. In the mean time, I will try to keep the technology to a minimum on my students' end, using it more for my advantage to hook, inspire, and assist my students.
Multiplayer online math games:
http://wellgames.com/free_online/numberz/
http://www.carrotsticks.com
http://www.arcademics.com
http://www.iknowthat.com/FT/index.html
http://www.mathplayground.com/ASB_Index.html
Burgess, 2012. Teach Like a PIRATE.
Thomas & Brown, 2011. A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change.
Wiggins & McTighe, 2001. Understanding by Design.
You made some wonderful comments in your post. First, I never really thought of the delivery of instruction when I was writing my post, but what you said is very true. In the past, we never learned online or on the SMARTBoard. Also, our teacher wrote us hand written notes on our writing papers, we did not get comments via email or Blackboard and we did not get peer reviews through different tech program. It came from peer review worksheets. We can also now learn from our couch in our pajamas, when before that was never really an option.
ReplyDeleteI also like what you said about Dave's hooks. Hooks like that were never used when I was younger, but now, I think more teachers are trying to incorporating these hooks into their classrooms when they can.
One other thing I just thought of as I was writing this, was in the past, it seems like teachers had more freedom as to what to teach, while now, a lot of us teach scripted programs and are in charge of teaching students very rigorous standards in order to achieve high test scores that are used in our evaluations.
Great post! Sorry for all the randomness, thinking on the go!
Yes, as it turns out, the delivery is the only thing different for me and most of that is probably due to me teaching an online course so I really don't have a choice ;) It is a tough balancing act to make learning fun and motivational while ensuring all standards are met and test scores are high. My husband, also a teacher, and I were discussing the other day how the word 'standards' just kinda of makes us shutter and shut down. I tend to get all glossy eyed and lose energy, motivation and inspiration. I just feel that very word derails my thought process almost instantly. Something I need to work on I guess :)
DeleteAndrea - interesting ideas about applying the ideas of engaged and meaningful teaching to online courses! I think one of the nuggets of Burgess that you mentioned hits the nail on the head - applying it to real life. Building discussion around math can be difficult, but using authentic applications can lend inspiration and motivation to start those meaningful discussions.
ReplyDeleteRegarding gaming, I think that is a really interesting way to explore math, unfortunately there are not too many really good educational games out there right now. One good one I do know of is Lure of the Labyrinth http://labyrinth.thinkport.org/www/. It lets the players explore concepts in pre-algebra through a narrative that takes them through a mythological world. Students who have used it at our school seem really taken with it.
There are a lot of great frameworks for engaging learners, and teaching in ways that promote collaborative and exploratory learning. Applying those frameworks to online learning is definitely a worthwhile challenge!
Thanks so much for the link Tracie! It's difficult guiding my mature students to sites that are clearly designed for elementary aged students. Feels like a big ol' whack to the ego for those students that already lack confidence in Math. Lure of the Labyrinth looks much less juvenile and something they could get in to. Thanks again! I am curious how the gaming is implemented in your school? Is it a once a week reward kind of thing or part of the regular lesson? Something they do for homework? I'm unsure of how to implement and unleash online gaming for it to be most effective.
DeleteAndrea - there are lesson plans contributed by teachers in the "educators" section of the site. Besides the game there are also a series of puzzles to solve. The middle school teacher I know who used it a few years ago just made the game and puzzles a part of the class. As they went through the curriculum, there were certain points where the game play aligned (and pushed ahead too). It was used all year.
DeleteThanks Tracie! That definitely helps.
DeleteI love all your resources at the bottom of the post. I have briefly looked at some of them , and can't wait to try others out. Thanks
ReplyDeleteYou bet. I was pleased how many options there were. Chances are you'll get around to implementing them sooner than me. Would love some feedback if you do!
Delete