Anderson & Jerry (March 1994) state the focus should be on major points. Later, after the "big picture" is conveyed and understood, a planner will be able better to address the minor, yet still important, elements.
I liked the brief template from Scientific Learning that included major points echoed by Anderson & Perry and Missouri Education. Those included:
Getting Started
Mission Statement
Current Technology
Goals
Action Plans including Professional Development
Implement and Evaluate
This image helped keep things succinct for my brain, when things get too lengthy I just shut down.
Anderson suggested that a child should be able to understand your mission statement which is such a relief to me. As mentioned my thoughts get lost in too many words. Something succinct and to the point to keep everyone on focus is the best bet. And that focus should be on the future and the students. Once that is established all the other details will fall in to place.
"The desired outcome of effective technology planning is that the most appropriate technologies are infused in the most natural manner into a maximally-effective instructional or administrative program so that all parties concerned have equitable access and achieve world-class benefits from routine use of the technologies." (Anderson & Perry, 1994)
Anderson, L. (August 26, 2005) Podcast: Larry Anderson shares thoughts about authentic technology planning. Retrieved from http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/0/3/3034d42e0adbb756/STP-LarryAnderson.mp3?c_id=3235606&expiration=1382162507&hwt=c5e910924574b3ba5dd4f92078dd106e
Anderson, L. & Perry, J. (March 1994). Technology Planning: A Recipe for Success. Retrieved from http://www.nctp.com/tp.recipe.html
Graduate Students at Mississippi State University. Guidebook for Developing an Effective Instructional Technology Planning V.2. Retrieved from http://www.nctp.com/downloads/guidebook.pdf.
Missouri Department of Education. Six- Step Process in Creating a Technology Plan. Retrieved from http://dese.mo.gov/divimprove/instrtech/techplan/gettingstarted.htm
Scientific Learning. District/School Template Technology Plan Template. Your Blueprint for Sucess. Retrieved from http://www.scilearn.com/alldocs/cp/school-district-technology-plan.pdf
University of Montana. IT Strategic Planning Process 2011-12. Retrieved from http://umt.edu/it/strategic/planningprocess/default.php

Yes I know where you are coming from when too much information causes shut down. I've been reading and writing for this course since 7:30 this morning and I keep having to take "tea time." I like the graphic you posted. I'm a visual learner in that I like to make pictures out of new information in order to get a grasp on my comprehension. I enjoyed reading your post~
ReplyDeleteYeah, if it's brief I can retain it and stay focussed. It seems many this week were surprised by the length of technology plans they came across. For me that is just a guarantee it won't be fully read or addressed.
DeleteI think it would be helpful putting our technology plan (Fairbanks) in a thinking map. Possibly a bubble map or double bubble (cause and effect) and see if it flows.
ReplyDeleteOur school just rewrote and voted on its vision and mission statement, and I voted amongst the final two versions of each solely on word count. I chose both that had less words and to me seemed more clear due to lack of length. I would like to say that it was for the sake of the children, but it was truly because I find being succinct to be much more effective.
ReplyDelete