This find of Hallie's on twitter really gave me perspective on using technology as a tool to move away from teacher-based learning rather than just enhance it. I shared this link with Tracie as her blog discussed using technology not merely as a tool but as a means to construct knowledge. I hope this will give her the same perspective I needed as I move to the new culture of learning within the world rather than about it. Akteacherlead brought to my attention the difficulty of implementing learning based teaching within the current standards. It seems using 21st century tools to teach the same standards is like fitting a square peg in a round whole. Barbra's blog and Ginger's comment on it extended this thought for me. We discussed textbooks being too generic that they do not take into consideration the specific cultures of students that will be using the book. I am guilty of thinking only in terms of my own students when discussing education, I need to remember there is a country full of students with different abilities, socio economic status, cultures, and support systems. How can we expect the same text to address them all. And to go further, how can we expect one education system fit everyone? There is so much diversity amongst students it doesn't seem there can be a blanket solution. So the idea of learning based instruction with 21st century tools seems the start of a solution. It allows for individualized learning within the students own world, making the learning applicable to their life. It seems to follow then that the standards need to be addressed to fit this new culture of learning. Something I need to pay more attention to as I admittedly tend to gloss over anything pertaining to standards. Finally, Tracie suggested an online multi-player math game with great potential for my older students. I am anxious to dive in to that world and see how and if it can apply to my class. Some learning definitely took place this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment