Friday, October 11, 2013

What's Play Got To Do With It?

What does play have to do with embracing change and how does this impact me as a professional?
Thomas and Brown (2011) suggest play is a strategy for embracing change. I realized as a professional I need to carve out more time to play. Since I teach online technology can play a huge role in my students play routine. So after reading the chapter I was motivated to find some sort of play for my students. I found some disappointing sites that just used technology to replace pen and paper skills practice:

http://www.learningwave.com/abmath/

http://www.gamequarium.com/prealgebra.html

I found one online gaming site that seemed geared towards my students and their course content. It was a strategic game that I fiddled around with for about 15 minutes. 


http://lp.empire.goodgamestudios.com/

I quickly got discouraged as I didn't feel I was doing any thinking, but instead just following the suggestions on the game. There did not seem to be any learning and I felt as though I had totally wasted my time. This made me realize I really need more time to play in my day! That way if I spend fifteen minutes playing and the game isn't what I'm looking for it won't feel like such a sacrifice.

I did discover a site that would help my students with skills practice that had a little more focus on play and a game concept. 


http://www.math-play.com/Algebra-Math-Games.html


So I am struggling with the very challenge Thomas & Brown (2011) mention, "The challenge is to find a way to marry structure and freedom to create something new altogether now." Practicing math skills disguised somewhat within a game, may keep the students slightly more interested but they still are making that leap to understanding and learning within their world. 


I want to "stop thinking of learning as an isolated process of information absorption and start thinking of it as a cultural and social process of engaging with the constantly changing world around us" (Thomas & Brown, 2011) but just feel perhaps I haven't found the right tool for my students to play with so we can make that leap. 



Thomas, D. & Brown, J. (2011). A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change.

7 comments:

  1. I like what you said here, Thomas and Brown (2011) suggest play is a strategy for embracing change. I think play has A LOT to do with change. When teachers are accepting change, they are using what they are giving, they are finding out what they can do with it, and they are presenting it to their students with an understanding of what it is. If we did not accept change, we would not explore these new materials and we would not use them in our classrooms. When we are accepting change, we are taking the time to explore something new that can help our students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. When I read that play is a strategy for embracing change, I instantly thought of my 3 year old when I came home from the hospital with his new little sister. He spent the next week playing mommy, going to the hospital, sitting on the couch nursing, and resting. Pretty funny to see myself reflected in his play but totally saw that this was his way of making sense of this drastic change in his life. I need to adapt this attitude to the constant updates and improvements to technologies I use ;)

      Delete
  2. Andrea, I too find it hard to find the right tools to play with in Algebra. That is when although we do not play with math, I think a comfortable classroom where students can banter and joke - even with me - is important. It can lighten the stiff math lesson and lead the way to more understanding because the students aren't so stressed and uptight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is validating to hear you too struggle with the right tools! Not that I can use it as an excuse to stop looking but just good to know I'm not alone. You're right a comfortable classroom goes a long way, you are a tlap teacher!

      Delete
  3. Andrea, I think vetting games for the classroom is one great aspect of a PLN. As we collaborate and share, we can learn about appropriate games without going through and vetting each game ourselves. Gotta be time smart! I've been using a couple of books for years from AIMS Education Foundation. They are called Aims Math and Science. Every Friday, we put away the textbook and do an activity. Last Friday it was classifying and sorting. I've done statistics and probability games. None of these games use technology. But I did notice the website now has e-activities (http://www.aimsedu.org/cms/free/Free-Sample-Activities/1.html).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I have to get into the habit of following tweetdeck. Do you have a favorite hashtag for math to follow? Thanks for the link!!

      Delete
  4. Andrea - I agree that we all need to make more time for play in our day! When I was first learning about web 2.0 tools, that's how I did it - I played with them. Now when I am introducing students to them I do the same thing. I give them a brief overview of what the tool is, then give them the link and about 20 minutes to play with it. It's usually plenty of time for them to figure out the basics. Then, we can use it for all kinds of things later. Your frustrating experience with online math games echoes a lot of frustrations I have heard - it is just translating pencil/paper practice to the computer, no new thinking required. But I think that if we are wanting to incorporate technology into the creative play process, we can also do it in other ways besides online gaming. Giving students a real-world problem, and then having them brainstorm solutions that they can demonstrate or explain using web 2.0 tools can be a creative way to go about this - especially for older students and upper level math. Animations and other mash-ups that combine things like SketchUp are a lot of fun, and really inspire creative thinking - which can feel an awful lot like play to some people!

    ReplyDelete