Monday, October 21, 2013

The Importance of Inquiry and Questioning

The importance of inquiry and questioning in my discipline is HUGE! Inquiry in math takes students from traditional explicit knowledge to multiple acceptable answers to the never ending question 'When will I ever use this?' I was delighted to find an incredible website, Inquiry Maths by Andrew Blair out of the UK, that provides prompts to get students asking questions, regulation choices for students to decide how they want to proceed with the inquiry, assessment for inquiry lessons, even online support. A priceless resource for getting started with math inquiry lessons. I found it interesting to note that Blair (2013) only orchestrated two full inquiry lessons per term, each taking approximately 5 hours in the classroom. He noted other smaller inquiries happened all the time but this wasn't an everyday occurrence. Knowing that made it real to me and achievable. 

Jacqui Murray in her blog, 11 Ways to Make an Inquiry-Based Classroom, discussed inquiry learning in this way "Learning isn't linear. It's a web that grows out from the central question. 
As such, your lesson plan may change dramatically based on student inquiry. If you teach three fifth grade classes, each will likely be different from the other. That's OK. Your challenge is to track what you did in each class and pick up from where you left off. That's OK, too. It's part of the job of teaching an inquiry-based class." Coupling that with Blair's non daily approach made meeting standards still seem achievable. Murray also advised to publish and share, inquiry based classrooms share knowledge which would help nurture the collective indwelling that Thomas and Brown discussed. 

A couple more math inquiry sites worth sharing:

Center for Inquiry-Based Learning has a list of math inquiry games and exercises. Not as thorough as the Inquiry Maths website but could be a good start and warm up to the bigger inquiry lessons. 
And wouldn't you know it, there's a Math Inquiry board on Pinterest. Most pins are smaller, hands-on discoveries, some have not much inquiry at all but still worth perusing. Found this little nugget on there to help stay on the inquiry path:






As far as nurturing students' passion in my classroom, I guess I need to start with knowing what their passions are. Once I know that, I can adjust the hooks and real life applications and inquiry prompts somewhat accordingly. Thomas & Brown suggest 'when the idea is to ask questions, diversity is a good thing.' I understood this to mean their diversity in both disposition and indwelling would deepen the peer to peer learning and that specific nurturing of each individual's passion was not necessary all the time. 

I needed the example of the basketball question addressed to the player for comparison. "At what angle and with what force must a person shoot a ball to make a basket 20 feet away?" An example of a poor attempt to nurture the student's passion with inquiry by masking a physics problem with a basketball theme, pretty transparent. I have guiltily been there! It was eye opening to see how asking the question differently would address the student's true interest in basketball and engage the student: "What is the best way to shoot a basketball?" Little changes, big results. 

Blair, A. (2013). Inquiry Maths. Retrieved from http://www.inquirymaths.com/

Center for Inquiry-Based Learning (2001). Retrieved from http://www.ciblearning.org/resource.exercise.php

Math Inquiry board on Pinterest. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/join/?action=follow&next=%2Fkcbombard%2Fmath-inquiry%2F

Murray, J. (n.d.). 11 Ways to Make an Inquiry-based Classroom. Retrieved from http://www.teachhub.com/11-ways-make-inquiry-based-classroom


Math Inquiry board on Pinterest. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/join/?action=follow&next=%2Fkcbombard%2Fmath-inquiry%2F

7 comments:

  1. There is something for everything and everyone on Pinterest! I love it. I use it for school, my home, my wedding that is coming up and much more. In fact I used it today to look up different editing checklist for my students to use on the writing day in our reading program.

    Also, thank you for sharing the website, http://www.teachhub.com/11-ways-make-inquiry-based-classroom. I looked through some of the lessons, and I am definitely going to give them a try in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a treasure trove! Glad you found something useful on the other site!

      Delete
  2. What I really like about what you picked up from Pinterest on inquiry was #2 - It's not inquiry if the question and steps are pre-determined for them. I often think this is where we miss the boat (and the beauty) of UbD. When we develop an essential question, that is great, but then we drill it down to the learning objectives, and it is often these that are posted on the board for the students. Why do we do this? It's like giving away the end of the story! I like just leaving the essential question up when beginning a unit of study, and constantly going back to it, asking, "Does this help us start to answer part of this question?", or "Does this relate to our question?". Getting our kids to understand that essential questions are often unanswerable in a concrete way, but can have many answers is a good idea. They need to understand that most of the really interesting questions in the world don't have just one answer, or even a "right" answer. But the really fun part is getting them into the spirit of inquiry once you've begun - we don't have to prescribe the path to learning, but I think we need to get used to trusting our students to come up with good questions! I really like the ideas in the article about 11 ways to create an inquiry based classroom too - good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your idea of having the essential question up to guide inquiry and help keep students on track! I'm going to implement that myself. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Andrea. Thanks for posting all these great links. The evidence that you shared this week is certainly all over my diigo! I especially like the CIBL website. The idea that you guide a student through inquiry with engaging experiences which leads to the students designing their own inquiry is a perfect way to infuse inquiry in the classroom. We do a math activity instead of a lesson on Fridays. This website gave me some terrific ideas for more inquiry. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great! So glad to be contributing to others' learning, felt like lately I was doing all the taking :)

      Delete
  4. What wonderful resources. Especially the math ones. Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to use some of them.

    ReplyDelete