Another concern as voiced by Nyoli Connor (2010) questions, 'How do we get students to view themselves as capable of discussing and developing their mathematical framework without constant “expert” direction?' I suppose that just comes with practice. I know not to expect the first attempt to step away from the 'what' to be without bumps.
One more idea that would help, Connor asked a student for their perspective on how social media is being used academically. Brilliant! I feel in this situation it is definitely worth it to call in the experts! I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to develop a move to where and how only to find you missed the mark on what students are naturally doing and using digitally.
My second, almost equally as big challenge, is to not just mask the content in a weak attempt to step away from the 'what' but to fully shift to the 'where' and 'how'. In my search to solve challenge #2, I have found:
http://www.yummymath.com/
http://www.thirteen.org/get-the-math/
http://csdt.rpi.edu/
As well as Dan Meyer's site listed above. Although some still seem to me to be a mask, they are a good starting point if nothing else.
One more site I want to spend more time on is http://www.edutopia.org/knowledge-in-action-PBL-research-video?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=video-pbl-research-question I started watching a video on project-based learning and ending up viewing how to remake your classroom so it is more conducive for collaboration. And many other things in between. Think it will be a valuable resource.
http://www.thirteen.org/get-the-math/
http://csdt.rpi.edu/
As well as Dan Meyer's site listed above. Although some still seem to me to be a mask, they are a good starting point if nothing else.
One more site I want to spend more time on is http://www.edutopia.org/knowledge-in-action-PBL-research-video?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=video-pbl-research-question I started watching a video on project-based learning and ending up viewing how to remake your classroom so it is more conducive for collaboration. And many other things in between. Think it will be a valuable resource.
Connor, Nyoli. (October 15, 2010). Geeking Out With Math...Can This Dream Become a Reality?
Retrieved from http://www.coetail.com/nconnor/2010/10/15/geeking-out-with-math-can-this-dream-become-a-reality/
As we are beginning to hone our skills as builders of inquiry, I think our PLNs come in to play heavily. Sometimes it is difficult for me to come up with ideas, just like you posted in your blog. I am grateful to have social media where I can send out a question and people in my PLN either come to my aid or have insightful conversations with me to help me come up with a solution or at least something to try out.
ReplyDeleteYes! Good point Barbra, I have yet to make it habit to turn to my PLN when I get stuck. My instinct is still to navigate the internet alone. Guess I like making extra work for myself ;) Thanks for the reminder!
DeleteAndrea - LOVE Dan Meyer! I'm not a math teacher, but I am a huge fan of this guy, and I pass his name and website out like business cards whenever I am working with math teachers! I like the way he is able to bring such interest to his subject, and to get so much student interest. One key is finding great resources that are not math specific, but definitely incorporate math related problems or issues. These are tough for me to spot, but for a math teacher probably easier. News, current events, videos, anything "real world" that you can find that adds that element in would be great. Make them ask questions about it. What is the problem? What is the missing information? How might that problem be solved? What don't they understand? I think of videos like this: http://www.ted.com/talks/margaret_wertheim_crochets_the_coral_reef.html
ReplyDeleteor this:
http://www.math.harvard.edu/~knill/mathmovies/
or this:
http://world.std.com/~reinhold/mathmovies.html
or this:
http://www.qedcat.com/moviemath/
and I'm sure a math-minded person could really find a lot more.
Wow! Thanks Tracie, sure enjoy those links, especially the TED talk. Look forward to spending more time on them. Really appreciate your input!
DeleteAndrea, thank you for your links! I'm a big fan of Dan Meyer too. His work is inspiring. Teaching in the elementary school, I am surrounded by teachers who trust the math manual to be the good teaching. It causes me some anxiety, to say the least. I really think, though, that they want to be more dynamic but the district-mandated programs are like virtual prisons for many elementary teachers. Thinking beyond that "box" is scary and I wonder if some teachers are not sure where to go and stay in that "box" to be safe.
ReplyDeleteI agree, scared and maybe overwhelmed by the possibilities (and then of course the time to implement possibilities).
Delete“There are always two choices. Two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.”
I like the idea, but how to we find the time to do this for all our subjects as elementary teachers? I am thinking you can build over the years.
ReplyDeleteYes, TIME, especially for elementary school teachers! I don't know the answer but do know I have a tremendous amount of respect for elementary teachers and all the material they have to cover! I think baby steps is the way to go, at least that's what I keep telling myself :)
DeleteAndrea,
ReplyDeleteI always love your ideas. I think that is because we are both math people. Your links are also very wonderful.
I shared some likes this week as well over at my blog about real life math and applications and problem solving. If we can help our students have fun solving math problems, then maybe they won't dislike math as much as they often do.
Thank you Heather, I feel the same about your posts! Great minds.... :)
DeleteI'm heading over to yours right now to gather up all the goodies you've shared!