Friday, September 27, 2013

Mentoring Project

The goal of my mentoring project took a quick but exciting turn last week. I initially was going to teach a friend and colleague about twitter but was then approached out of the blue by someone else to help find uses for one iPad in the classroom. It was quite a coincidence, as they did not know I was studying Educational Technology. The librarian is providing each teacher in the school (which my child happens to attend :)  an iPad and they are investigating ways to implement them. It is a win-win-win situation and very motivating as my mentoring was basically requested. (Btw... My other friend is totally fine to forgo the twitter project so I have not burned any bridges).
I feel this is a good project as there is an actual request for mentoring, I am interested in iPad applications myself, and my children will likely benefit from this too :)  I have already sent them a few ideas to get them started and had a teacher contact me for specific math apps for students who plan to be absent. The feedback was very positive so I feel I can be of good use to them. I want to mentor this person because she is a friend of mine with an expressed need, she is the part-time librarian, I am also familiar with her coworker, the full time librarian who spearheaded this technological movement. I will help them gather potential uses for one iPad in the classroom along with implementation guidelines and recommendations. So far in one simple google search I have come up with multiple sites that will help me on my trek to discover potential iPad uses. I also am following the #ipaded hashtag on TweetDeck for ideas and advice. And would appreciate any input from my classmates! Once I have taken a week to collect ideas we will weed through the material together, then distribute our findings to the teachers while gathering their input as to their needs/desires. We will repeat and fine tune this process the next week until suitable uses are found. I will then help organize a meeting with the teachers to introduce the apps and will make myself available to my friend the following week to help troubleshoot any issues.
I will collect data through my own reflective journal after each interaction. I also will observe the teachers' responses and their embracing or ignoring of the apps presented, if I do not get a good read from my observations I will then send a survey via survey monkey to the teachers. Since my child is a student in the school I will also get a sense of the impact any apps have had on his particular learning.



Watson, T. One iPad in the Classroom Workshop. Retrieved from http://www.esc11.net/Page/3780

Wylie, J. Revisiting the One iPad Classroom: Resources. Retrieved from http://jonathanwylie.com/2012/11/05/revisiting-the-1-ipad-classroom/?utm_campaign=Listly&utm_medium=list&utm_source=listly

Grant Wood AEA iPad Professional Development Site. Retrieved from https://sites.google.com/a/gwaea.org/gwaea-ipad-pd/workshops/the-1-ipad-classroom?utm_campaign=Listly&utm_medium=list&utm_source=listly

We Are Teachers Blog. 15 Apps for the One iPad Classroom. Retrieved from http://www.weareteachers.com/community/blogs/weareteachersblog/blog-wat/2013/06/24/15-apps-for-the-one-ipad-classroom

15 comments:

  1. I am glad an opportunity like this worked out for you! I was approached with a couple different topics, and have decided to focus on one main one for our project, and then help others on the side when time allows. Maybe in the future, or when time allows you could still assist the other individual with Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I will eventually get around to helping my colleague with twitter. That seems like something I could get them going on in one meeting.

      Delete
  2. There are so many resources now available out there on one-iPad classrooms. I have seen many posts from teachers on Pinterest on ideas for using apps and managing the iPad. Your mentoring project sounds like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest!! Of course! Thank you Ginger, I will definitely use it as a resource! Much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Andrea - How nice to be asked! That takes care of the "building relationships" aspect of mentoring rather quickly! For you data collection, you might want to make sure you are recording specific aspects of your mentoring discussions. Ask lots of questions to elicit information from her about implementation and practice - what aspects she feels are successful, which she is struggling with and why. When challenges arise, be specific about ways you can support or help. Be sure to share your observations with her, and collaborate on next steps - all good info for later data reflection. A definite side benefit for you is your actual case study to determine how well your mentoring is trickling down - your children can give you great feedback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracie! I am having difficulties defining my mentoring boundaries, your suggestions for data collection are terrific and helped me visualize the blurred line between my mentoring and her work.

      Delete
  4. Andrea,
    What kinds of apps are you thinking about? The school my children go to have iPads in 4-6 grade classes - almost one for each student. I know this is a different type of implementation, but some of the apps could still be of help. If you would like, and I could get more information on what you are looking for, I can ask around and see what I can come up with for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather that would be awesome! I think they were looking for any apps to help with the core subjects but any recommended apps for that age group would be tremendous! Thank you so much!

      Delete
    2. I only was able to find a few this week, so I will keep asking.
      The one teacher that responded said:
      Qrafter - creates QR codes for anything (websites, text, etc)
      Rocket Math - math fact practice
      Stack the States

      I also really like KenKen - it's a math puzzle game that helps with facts

      Delete
  5. That's so great that you were actually asked by a coworker to help them! Every teacher in my school also received an ipad to use within the classroom, and unfortunately I haven’t really used it much, due to the fact that I don't know of many apps that I can use either. Therefore I will be following your blog for ideas in how I can actually begin to use my ipad! In addition to making sure I follow your blog, I will also be doing my own research. One key thing when I am researching for apps is the price. Therefore when I came across a blog that compiled a list of "The 55 Best Free Education Apps For iPad" I got excited. Free is always great! The website is http://www.teachthought.com/apps-2/the-55-best-best-free-education-apps-for-ipad/ take a look at it, hopefully some of those apps could be helpful! Also, what subjects is this teacher looking to find apps for?
    Thanks! -Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Amber! I hope I can find some apps that would be useful in your classroom. What do you teach? And thanks for the link... yes, free is always welcomed!!
      It's the librarian of a grade 3 - 6 school, needing ideas for all teachers.

      Delete
  6. Great idea. Here are some of my favorite apps to use in my classroom.

    Learnzillion. for math. need wireless
    Thinking blocks

    Jungle Journey for sequencing and cause and effect. It is a 6 player game that practices these skills in a game board format. It cost money, but the question and educational.

    ReplyDelete