Sunday, September 22, 2013

Reflection Week 3

The reading of TLAP as a whole has caused a total shift to how I think about my lessons. As I have worked my way through the EdTech program I became more and more focussed almost solely on technology for improving lessons, through no fault but my own. TLAP widened my view point to include the many other teaching methods available and helped me refocus my attention to technology as piece of the pie, not the entire thing. Also, I am now able to narrow down a starting point for improving my lessons, instead of being overwhelmed by how and where to make changes. I have a list of ideas on how to get started on a lesson by lesson basis rather than the entire course as a whole. With each lesson I find myself rifling through ideas to motivate and hook students, it's even spilled over to my husband's classes. Not sure he's over appreciative of my suggestions to improve his lessons but he listens :).
This week my conversation with Hallie got me thinking about students as customers. To orchestrate education as a business, listening to our customers, embracing their feedback, and adapting to accommodate  them. This thought process continued and was expanded by my correspondence with Christine. Her school has adopted a customer service approach to this year. As I processed this idea further it got me thinking, could this customer service idea end up biting teachers in the butt? Would students become too demanding and entitled? Could it potentially be bad for the classroom? Or maybe in the same vein, be good for education as a whole by weeding out those not so good teachers? The ones who choose not to be great, as captured in the documentary Waiting for Superman and compared to those that have chosen to be excellent.
As far as contributing to others learning, I shared a website on tips for being successful with Christine. It was designed more for businesses but in thinking of education through the customer service lens it is applicable. As well, I was haphazardly approached by a friend for ideas on using iPads in the classroom. I quickly located twenty plus sites via twitter on policies, subject specific apps, and getting started on using iPads which I shared with her and at some later date will help her weed through. What a validating experience. I am now contemplating switching my mentoring project to her. Decision to be made soon.

1 comment:

  1. I have also been going back and forth about whether it is a positive or negative thing that we are looking at students as "customers". I was thinking of getting feedback from others in my school and district to see what they think. I also wonder if there is any articles or research on the internet about this.

    ReplyDelete