Sunday, September 8, 2013

Reflection Week 1

Just when I thought I had it figured out, my blog interations with Margo and Heather headed me toward deeper reflections. In my original post I had come to the idea that even though I may not be a performer at heart I could guide similar enthusiasm through my love of technology and still 'teach like a pirate'. And I was pleased with myself. However, Margo made the comment about being 'bouncy and enthusiastic with her kids' and that stopped me in my tracks. What was I thinking, I'm not theatrical? With young children, either my own or others, I am a star performer! Silly songs, joking comments, crazy dances, there's really nothing I won't do to get them giggling. I love young kids and have a natural repoire with them. I however currently teach high school/college age students, and in picturing myself 'being Dave Burgess', I could not see myself pulling it off comfortably or convincingly. It's not that I can't do goofy and over the top, it's just I do not teach the age of my natural audience and since I was only thinking in terms of my classroom, I completely over looked this side of me! So I know I have it in me, but why the disconnect?
Heather's blog then jogged my memory that I too have heard from students that wished I could teach them their next math class. But why? My lectures at times can be a total snooze fest. Upon further thought I came to the conclusion that my students must sense how much I genuinely care for them and their success, and that I truly believe they can learn the material. It must be the personal connections and belief in my students that helped them through my less than dynamic lessons.
So at the end of it all, I still feel teaching is personal and connections with students are key, but also must admit to myself maybe I could perform on Broadway...someday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment