Part III of Teach Like a Pirate affected my life both professionally and personally this week. Burgess's (2012) statement, "Realize that any time you say yes to something, you are saying no to something else" rang so true. I am one who finds it hard to say no to people, sometimes at my children's expense. 'Pick your kids up and scramble to find a ride home for one of mine because the car is full? Sure!' What was I thinking?!? I found repeating Burgess's words throughout the week. Every time I was about to commit to something, I stopped to think what I would also be saying no too. What a tremendous change in perspective for me.
The other words to live by I took from Teach Like a Pirate were "Get used to criticism". The more you step outside of the box the more you will become a target. Either grow from the criticism or ignore and then move on! I had these words in the back of my mind when I was placing phone calls for a new program in town. They helped me to brush myself off and place the next call, keeping the focus on my passion not any negativity I received. Leo Babauta (March 2011) offers a specific way to handle criticism which could easily be applied to colleagues or students. He states, "After taking a minute to
calm myself down... I would respond and thank the commenter for his criticism. I'd acknowledge their point without being defensive. I'd respond with my reasoning, if I felt I had a point, or if the critic was right I would agree and let them know I was going to change things. Either way, I was grateful for their criticism. This had a startling effect: the commenter would often respond very positively. Thanking the commenter and acknowledging their point is disarming. People who leave rude comments don't expect you to listen to them, much less be grateful and empathetic." Babauta also shared an example of How not to handle criticism. I am sharing it now, not to bring further attention to this poor woman's unraveling, but rather as a reminder of how quickly things can spiral out of control. Take the moment the cool off and gain perspective!
Next step, getting started.
"It's one of the most intimidating things. It's the lack of starting that kills most tasks and projects." (Babauta, 2011)
"Starting may well be one of the most difficult and under-appreciated skills of all." (Burgess, 2012)
"Thinking will not overcome fear but action will." (W. Clement Stone)
Apparently getting started is the toughest part. Bernadette Jiwa (2013) offers eleven steps on how to start something. She echoes Burgess in stating you don't have to have it all figured out, 'sometimes enough just has to be enough'; ignore the naysayers and surround yourself with supporters; and do the work.
In order for me to maintain excellence I must just get started, give up perfectionism, remain aware of what I am saying yes or no to, and be prepared to brush myself off and pick myself up after failures or criticisms.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle
Aristotle. Retrieved from http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/aristotle145967.html
Babauta, L. (March, 2011). How to Start: zenhabits. Retrieved from http://zenhabits.net/begin/
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle
Aristotle. Retrieved from http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/aristotle145967.html
Babauta, L. (March, 2011). How to Start: zenhabits. Retrieved from http://zenhabits.net/begin/
Burgess, D. (2012) Teach Like a Pirate.
Jiwa, B. (2013) How to Start Something. The Story of Telling. Retrieved from http://thestoryoftelling.com/start-something/
Andrea, thank you for your post. Your comments about starting being hard are so true. However, I find that once I start, it is easier to keep going. Also I appreciated the 11 steps. It seems like you have done some great reflection this week.
ReplyDeleteI love your quote by Aristotle as well.
Yeah, that first step is always the hardest. But you're right, after that momentum kicks in and it gets significantly easier. Thanks for your comment!
DeleteI tool like the Burgess statement about committing to something. I have the same problem in helping people and putting their needs before yours. It's hard to say no to people who need the help but it makes my workload get bigger. However, if the help they need helps students strive to become better okay. However, I have to practice on saying no to things that don't increase student success and think about projects that I need to complete. I enjoyed reading your post Andrea~
ReplyDeleteI too have a hard time saying no. Dave's quote has helped me too. I also found an article about the 10 best habits of organized people. It said organized people have a clear vision of how they want their lives. This allows you to say no to anything that does not promote that vision.
ReplyDeleteNow I need to not lose focus of my 'vision' :)
DeleteI too have a hard time saying no. Dave's quote has helped me too. I also found an article about the 10 best habits of organized people. It said organized people have a clear vision of how they want their lives. This allows you to say no to anything that does not promote that vision.
ReplyDeleteThis is another fantastic post, Andrea! It's so easy to get sucked into so many low priority commitments that we don't have time for the "big rocks" as Covey put it. Great blog!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dave! I really appreciate your feedback!
Delete