Play is where it's at. Chris and I concurred playfulness is a big part of learning so why are 'humor, gaming, and creating art discouraged'. Chris introduced me to a Common Core Aligned Game Show that he was developing. Talk about being creative!
Thomas and I discussed actions speaking louder than words. I reflected on a recent parenting moment I'd witnessed that addressed just that. Something to keep in mind as a leader to my students and my children. We also agreed that risks are required for growth. So why not plan for it?
Colin reinforced the importance of collaboration. That we are in this together, we should listen to each other, delegate, and realize there is always someone more competent than you at something. The goal being to come up with the best possible answer, not to compete to be the person with the best answer. After all, our end result should be focussed on what is best for our students.
I reflected with Tiffany and Chris about innovation. I had just finished watching A Christmas Story and was was struck by the fact that every aspect of the movie seemed so old fashioned (the cars, mother’s role, toys) except for the classroom which was very similar to how it is now! How is it that change has happened politically, personally, commercially but not educationally? It's time for innovation. Pixar & Apple, seem to have fostering creativity worked out. I know I’d love to work in either environment. Why don't we start with taking a small page from their books toward innovating education?
Above image retrieved from http://behappy.me/we-dont-stop-playing-because-we-grow-old-we-grow-old-because-we-stop-playing

No comments:
Post a Comment